Turner has become more and more addicted to her pacifier lately, and couldn't seem to go a minute without one. Because I already thought it was a nasty habit and because it has become such a vice for her, Tuan and I decided it was time to phase it out! I hate the thought of taking something from her that she finds so much comfort in, but it only seemed to be becoming more and more of an issue. I didn't want to just take it from her, I really wanted it to be her giving it up, but honestly that wasn't going to happen simply by talking to her about it. So, we decided to go with the cutting method.
I meant to do it two weekends ago, so that she could adjust over the long MLK weekend, but she was really sick with a sinus infection and bronchitis, so that would've been cruel. Then my intention was to wait until the following Saturday, but Thursday afternoon, I had had it! So, I cut it, actually not just it...THEM! All of them! The first time she put one in her mouth, she kept taking it out and saying, "hole" over and over while poking her finger in the hole, after about 30 minutes she just tossed it aside and was over it. Over it until bedtime that is, she usually goes down without a peep, but not that night, she cried for what was probably only 10 or 15 minutes, but just like when we were doing sleep training, it seemed like an eternity, and it was probably a good thing I cut them all because I probably would've given her one if I had one to give her.
The next day I felt a bit guilty that I was springing this on the daycare workers when it was so new, but they were great about it, and although T is the only one in her class giving up the pacifier they didn't seem to judge me. However, one of the teachers said, "Some people would say she isn't developmentally ready for this, but I'm not saying that." So, okay, maybe we were judged a little, but all in all she did well. It took her a bit longer to fall asleep at nap time and she was fussy about it, but she did go to sleep. She and her other teacher also had a little conversation about it while T was throwing a fit, but she got over that too.
Friday night, she went to bed much more easily and Saturday she didn't ask for a pacifier at all. We gave her one in the church nursery, but it had a hole in it, and after church we took it and she didn't ask for it again all day! Nap times this weekend went very smoothly as well, we let her take a little animal to bed with her and she's been fine! Not seeming to miss it at all!]
I hope things have been smoother at daycare today. The hole in the one they have there isn't as big yet, so hopefully she'll just love getting to enjoy it a bit.
The thing I like about this method is that when she asks for a pacifier, she can have one, but it will have a hole in it, and she then chooses not to use it. When she mentions the hole, we just say something like, "yep, there's a hole in it" or "yes, isn't that neat?".
She's a good kid, I am really proud of her!
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment