Well, it has been a challenging, but good week! I can't believe our little girl is already 2 weeks old! In some ways it seems like we have had her forever, but in other ways it seems to strange that she is here and like it was just yesterday that we were at the hospital.
On Monday, we had our first scared parent visit to the hospital. Tuan and I were worried because we were supposed to be watching for Turner's "output" to make sure she was getting enough to eat, but we thought we were only getting like 1-3 pee diapers for the last two days and we were panicked! Well, we got in to see the Nurse Practitioner (who was amazing by the way) and with his help we figured out that we just weren't noticing the pee any more because is was so clear now and the diapers are so absorbent. So he taught us some tricks to tell if they were wet and now we know she is getting plenty to eat. He also confirmed that her weight was rising at about an ounce a day so that was great! We felt much better about our parenting skills after we left there! Mom was here on Monday, but I realized that I really don't know how to verbalize how she can help me out. So, after Turner lost her mind right after mom left, and I lost my mind as soon as Tuan came home, he was kind enough to call mom and verbalize for me what I couldn't. He never ceases to amaze me as a father and husband.
Tuesday, mom was here again to help out. I don't know how people do this with no help! She has been amazing! I have been a bit of a basket case with my hormones returning to what my doctor says are "pre-pregnancy" levels, but it seems like they are bottoming out! Breastfeeding this week has been tough at some times. It seems like Turner will not go more than an hour or two between feedings and they are taking at least an hour, so if I want to eat or anything there is NO time to rest! This whole sleep when the baby is sleeping stuff seems like crap!
Mom came again on Wednesday, and Melanie, Zach, Stan and Tori stopped by for a visit while they were in town for work! Tori was really good with Turner. Crystal, one of our Sunday School class friends brought over food for dinner! That is such a blessing!
Mom and Dad came on Thursday and again it was so nice to have the extra hands. Thursday night was especially tough, Turner was really hard to settle down after she ate and I was up from like 3:30am-6 or so.
We had a doctor's appointment on Friday and because of the struggles getting any rest this week I requested to make sure we saw the lactation consultant again! I think she got the point that I was really about to quit because I was wearing myself out! She encouraged us that we should only let Turner eat for 30 minutes and if she is still hungry then or doesn't choose to eat then we could offer her some formula. It was nice to have permission to not wear myself out so much so that day/night we started some formula. Of course, I still have to pump if I choose to skip a feeding, but that only takes 20 minutes and allows other people to share in her feeding! I had a doctor's appointment after Turner's to check my incision, and all is well. Mom met us at home to help out that day some more! I feel like I am wearing her out, and I know she is torn between needing to do some things at her house and wanting to help me out! I just hope she realizes what a big help she has been!
Tuan's friend from high school, Matt, and his wife and daughter stopped by for lunch on Friday! Tuan hadn't seen him in a few years since he had been active duty overseas. I had never met them, they were really nice and a pleasure to hang out with! Wendy, another Sunday School friend brought a yummy meal over for us!
On Saturday, Tuan insisted that we try to have an outing. I was hesitant, but it was nice to get out of the house. We decided the best use of an outing would be to take Turner to visit her Great Grandparents, Mammaw and Papaw H. She also got to meet Aunt Judy, cousin Jessica and Great Uncle Bill. She was a trooper! I just need to learn to feed her in public without being uncomfortable and being discreet. She was really tired when we got home, but didn't fuss much at all! We were so proud of her! We were pretty worn out too! Jason and Kellee, from Sunday School, came over with dinner and Jason even helped put Turner back to sleep! Tuan was able to feed Turner tonight since we have decided to add a little formula to the mix, I think this will be a great help!
Today, we have designated as a resting day! We slept really late and have actually gotten to sit and watch some TV between feedings. We are a little worried that Turner hasn't pooped since Friday, but we heard this could happen. Hopefully, she won't get a horrible tummy ache!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment